Mask Policy/COVID-19 Updates
Our top priorities of safety and security have never been more important than they are right now. Every decision we have made has been through the lens of the health and safety of our members and staff. As such, please be aware that there will be some changes to your JCC experience.
UPDATE: MAY 19, 2021- COVID-19/Mask Policy
- Masks are no longer required for fully vaccinated people. According to CDC, NYS, and Erie County guidelines, wearing a mask indoors is no longer required for those who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Please continue to wear a mask if you are not fully vaccinated, prefer to do so or are immunocompromised.
- All members, regardless of vaccination status, will complete the health screening, including temperature checks and questions.
- Staff members will continue wearing masks indoors.
- Masks will continue to be required in the Early Childhood Center.
- Enhanced cleaning of all equipment, group exercise rooms, and common areas will continue.
- Social distance protocols are still in effect, including maintaining a 6 foot distance.
- Fitness reservations are no longer required. Come when you like and stay as long as you want.
- Reservations for group fitness and aquatics are still required through the My J app. In the upcoming days, we will be increasing aquatic reservations. Reservations can only be made up to 5 days in advance. You can download the app from any app store. Click here for the desktop version. If you do not have a way to make a reservation, you may call and we can help you. Walk-ins will be accommodated only if there is room.
- If you have had any COVID-19 symptoms in the past 24 hours – fever of 100.4º or higher, cough, chills, headache, shortness of breath, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, muscle pain or has been exposed to someone who tested positively – we ask that you please stay home for the health and safety of our entire JCC family.
- Members will have their temperature taken using a non-invasive thermometer. If your temperature is 100.4º or higher, you will not be permitted to enter and we ask that you return after you’ve been temperature free for 48 hours. Accompanying family members will be asked to leave as well.
- Only JCC Buffalo members will be allowed in our buildings. No guests at this time. This may change in the very near future.
New Entry Protocols
- Social distancing is required. All members must maintain at least 6 feet of social distancing except with people from your household.
- Members will have their temperature taken using a non-invasive thermal scanning thermometer.
- If your temperature is 100.4º or higher you will not be permitted entry to the JCC. If you have had any COVID-19 symptoms in the past 24 hours – including fever of 100.4º or higher, cough, chills, headache, shortness of breath, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, muscle pain or exposed to someone that has tested positive– we ask that you please stay home for the health and safety of our entire JCC family. Please note: Accompanying family members will be asked to leave as well.
- Your JCC Access Card will be scanned upon entering.
- Many areas of each location of your JCC, have been reconfigured to help ensure social distancing.
- Please follow the directional signage to ensure social distancing.
What will happen in Fitness & Aquatics
- Fitness equipment has been rearranged and relocated to optimize equipment use and provide for social distancing.
- Members will be required to clean equipment, as done in the past, and our staff will be sanitizing.
- Please bring your own towels, water bottles and yoga mats as the JCC is unable to supply these. Water, yoga mats, resistance bands and SilverSneakers balls will be available for purchase.
- Reservations must be made through the “My J” app for group exercise classes as there is a maximum number of participants allowed in each class. If the class is full, please make a reservation to join us virtually. Reservations can be made up to 5 days advance. Walk-ups will be accommodated only if there is room.
Land Group Exercise Classes (Indoor)
- Classes are occuring with limited participants to ensure social distancing.
Water Group Exercise Classes
- There will be designated spots in the water for each participant. The instructor will help guide you to the proper spots.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
- All JCC Buffalo staff have been trained regarding COVID-19 prevention and safety protocols.
- Members will continue to clean the equipment, as done previously.
- Staff will be sanitizing equipment after each use.
- In between reservations, our staff will thouroghly clean and sanitize our facilities using products and protocols that meet CDC and EPA guidelines.
- Water fountains will be temporarily unavailable.
- Health and hygiene reminders have been prominently placed including reminders about hand washing, social distancing, and other guidelines.
- Hand sanitizing stations have been added around the JCC
Locker Room Protocols
- We ask that you help us maintain the cleanliness and the safety of our locker rooms by adhering to the JCC’s safety guidelines which are in accordance with the CDC, NYS and Erie County DOH guidelines.
- For those of you who utilize our showers, you will notice there is a laminated card that indicates a clean or needs to be cleaned shower. Please flip the card once the shower has been used so our staff can clean after your use.
- The steam room and sauna will be unavailable.
- Family Changing rooms are reserved for those who may have physical limitations.